14 March 2011

Some thoughts on singing...

Recitals are intereting little events, aren't they? Ok, so those of you who don't sing may be saying, "What the hell is he talking about?" But the musicians reading this probably understand what I'm saying. One spends so many hours practicing the literature he/she may perform in a recital - perhaps even having "sneak-peak" performances of the various pieces in smaller venues - only to find themselves with a one-time, one-chance go at delivering each individual work at its best for the audience in the real deal.

I just listened the recording of my voice recital in February. I was not impressed. Chaulk it up to my being my worst critic, but I was convinced I sang better than I did. Hahaha. I guess I need a reality check. Thinking back to that evening a little over a month ago, I felt as if my recital was a little bit on the not-so-great side when I first stepped off the stage. There were definite errors made. But, after receiving so many great compliments, I guess I bought into all the buzz. I should have known better! However, there were some things that were generally good - great even! Some of them quite surprising, too! So, no, I'm not having a pity party! :-)

Anywho, at least now I know the things I need to fix. I like knowing that I have smart ears and that those ears can usually translate the problems (and their remedies) to my voice. Learning through recordings can sometimes be dangerous because you aren't listening to a live sound, but I find that it is helpful in finding my way through the maze that is my voice!

Live, Laugh, and Love!
Kelly

1 comment:

Natalie Corinne said...

No, I bet it was awesome. We really are our WORST enemies and you are always the bomb.com.