06 May 2013

Notes on Procrastination

Who out there has procrastination issues? Ok, don't all raise your hands at once, but I feel your pain. Procrastination is truly my kryptonite. I can't even begin to tell you how often I have waited until the last minute to start a big or long-term project because I get so frozen by the overwhelming thought of it being tough or one that would take a while, and I lose all motivation to proceed. Classic "deer in headlights" moment.

At some point in life you have to stop being afraid. You have to be a big boy or put your big girl panties on (or both, if you're into that) and deal with unpleasant things. My father would say, "Son, you need to shit or get off the pot." So starting today, I am trying a new approach. I have decided to commit to the "baby steps"/"slow and steady wins the race" mentality. I've known for a while now that this process works well for me, but I haven't made the jump to practicing music, school work (my dissertation especially), working out, managing money, cleaning my apartment, etc. I know it works because of all the trips I've made from North Carolina to Mississippi over the last four years; the drive seems so much shorter when I think of it as Greensboro-Winston Salem-Wytheville-Bristol-Knoxville-Nashville-Jackson-Oxford. I don't get overwhelmed, stress levels are low, and I tend to be a happier person. Plus the feelings of accomplishment and the "thank God that's finally over" makes for a huge relief.

Oddly, I don't have this problem at work. When I'm assigned a task, I do it. I guess it's because I just don't think about it, and maybe there's something to be said for that, too. Or perhaps the payment factor also motivates me.

So I've decided to give myself small goals in life:
1. Talk to my mother and father at least two times a week, each.
2. Skype/Facetime with at least one friend each week.
3. Lose five pounds each month this summer.
4. Read two chapters each night from my Summer Reading List.
5. Practice at least one hour each day.
6. Save 10% of my earnings each week, and put it in my savings account.
7. Wash clothes every other day (OMG how do I wear soooo much stuff???).

Summer Reading List
A Game of Thrones
A Clash of Kings
Love in the Time of Cholera
Howards End
The Lord of the Rings

1 comment:

Natalie Corinne said...

you can do it love bug.